Friday, February 11, 2011

"Never Gonna Give You Up": 2 Songs, 1 Title

"Never Gonna Give You Up" is a highly underrated song towards the end of the new Black Keys album.  The Black Keys get a lot of credit for being a great band, but a lot of times even great bands don't get credit for some of their best songs because they aren't released as singles.  This particular song is a great play when you want to kick things up a notch with your lady friend.  I think it works on many different levels.
 For instance, first date: "I've held a girl's hand before, but there's something different about you and I don't want the night to end yet." 
Or the second date: "I know we aren't exclusive, but who are we kidding?  There's something real happening here.  Take your shoes off." 
And of course, the long term relationship play: "Baby, I know work was tough, but the weekend's here and Daddy ordered pizza.  Put on your pajamas."
In other words, this is an old school/new school love song that works in any romantic situation. 

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=black+keys+never+gonna+give+you+up&aq=0

Then we have a song by the same name by the one and only Rick Astley.  My mother used to love Rick Astley.  And I, even as a young boy, couldn't stand the guy and did not understand why he was famous. His voice confused me.  But I'm sure there have been many blogs written before about how insanely awful Astley is, so I won't go off on the poor bastard.  However, if you click on this link, check out the crazy bartender.  This dude is so moved by Rick, he can't help but dancing and smiling and eventually losing all control.  It's incredibly random, but given the circumstances, it's so right.  Who is he even making drinks for?  I wonder if this guy ever did anything bigger than fake bar tend in this awful video.  Is he even alive still?  I would research this, but that would make me even less cool than him.  Either way, it's absolutely fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahah!!! There is no way that red head guy really sings that song. This puts Milli Vanilli to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he has some pretty sweet dance moves. I could learn from this. haha

    ReplyDelete