Saturday, February 5, 2011

MUSIC FOR YOU TO ENJOY: VOL. 1

These are some songs that I really like that are not on the radio.  Most of us live in a technologically dependent world now so it's fairly easy to access millions of songs.  With itunes, Rhapsody, myspace, Pandora, and more, we are constantly exposed to new music from lesser known artists.  TV soundtracks have also grown increasingly popular.  When I was younger, I enjoyed listening to radio late at night, searching Napster, MTV.com or other obscure websites to track down new music.  I learned that the majority of great music out there never even makes it to radio.  It was up to us to discover it as true music fans.  Like I said, in today's day and age, it's easier to hear more music-which is great.  But still, there is so much out there that is yet to be enjoyed by most of us.  Here are a few youtube links to songs and artists that I really like. 

This is a track from Jon Foreman.  Jon's the lead singer of the band Switchfoot.  This song, "The Cure For Pain", shows a different side of the frontman.  This acoustic song contains heartfelt lyrics while incorporating subtle horns and background vocals that really add to the sound.  It's a true departure from the Switchfoot singles most people know from the radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-_sZIh2cQ


This next song is by an artist named Ari Hest.  I first heard Ari back in one of those headphone listening booths in the old Tower Records in Burlington.  He has a very cool, unique voice and his writing is very creative.  He has grown with every album he has released and he's also a great live performer.  This particular track, I've always felt, would be great as the soundtrack to an important scene in a psycholigical thriller.  What I like about Ari is that almost every song has its own identity.  Notice the production in this sound.  His vocals start off recorded with a distinctly low-fi sound and the song eventually evolves into a clear multi-instrumental, harmony-filled gem.  (sidenote:  this is the best sounding version I could find on youtube.  don't blame me OR Ari Hest for the creepy anime cartoon figures on top of each other.  thanks.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gzUbmHKjc

If you don't like these two songs, fear not.  Keep an open mind and I will post more in the future.

1 comment:

  1. "The Cure for Pain" is also one of my favorites that I first heard during a "Grey's Anatomy" episode a few seasons ago. Depressing (much like MOST of the music Chris listens to), but good stuff.

    ReplyDelete