Saturday, March 12, 2011

A LITTLE LOVE FOR THE UNDERDOG...

I'm always amazed at the NCAA basketball tournament.  Every year when the big bracket comes out, there are at least 2 colleges that I've never heard of.  St. Martha's School for the Deaf, University of Phoenix, and several community colleges could make it into the big dance and it wouldn't surprise me anymore.  But the thing is, these little engines-that-could enamor me.  This is probably why I never win these pools (except for once).  I talk myself into picking a Holy Cross over a Kansas for example.  I've never picked an overall #1 seed to win the whole thing.  Oh Well.  I think it's more enjoyable to root for the historical upset then to simply witness what's always expected.  "Yesss!  Duke beat Rutgers!  I called it!"  Great call.  Good for you, Nostradamus!  I find that to be boring...I don't know.  I know it's about winning some cash so I understand picking favorites, and obviously I pick some favorites too.  But I always try to sprinkle in some underdog wins.  It's more fun that way.
In fact, I often support the underdog.  Unless it's a New England sports team (who, by the way, had always been considered perennial underdogs until the last decade-except for the Celtics), or The United States, I almost always back the "dog".  The underdog needs a voice.  They need someone in their corner.  They need someone to believe in them.
Some examples:
I think John Adams was underrated.  He served one term and George W. Bush served two.  Doesn't seem right.
Troy Brown is the most valuable wide receiver to come out of Marshall-not Randy Moss.
My favorite Disney character is Pluto...it's not even close.
I drank Pepsi for a long time just because Coke was a bigger company.
I picked Gonzaga to win the whole thing at least twice.  Never again, by the way.
Patriots over Rams= life changing experience for me.
I rooted for Elway's Broncos to beat the Packers in one Super Bowl, then I rooted for The Falcons to beat Elway's Broncos the very next year.
I drove a Jeep Wrangler for years.  I don't know if this fits, but it somehow seems appropriate.
Jordan and Joey got all the attention, but I was a Donnie fan. 
Aerosmith-better than The Stones.  No contest.
I rooted for Juno to win Best Picture.
If you put Carrabbas' food in some tiny cellar in the North End and called it "Guiseppe's Italiano" or something, Italian food connoisseurs would rave about it.
Brady WAS the prototype for the underdog.  And we know my feelings on #12.
I strongly oppose Brazil in the World Cup.
I'm happy for Micky Ward.
I try to enjoy all the "other" songs on the album-not just the ones on the radio.
I like Ft. Lauderdale more than Miami.
I hope Tiger Woods wins again, now that he sucks.
You get the point....

A few other exceptions:  I will NEVER root for the Montreal Canadiens, Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, Lebron, or Peyton Manning (even though I respect his talent).  And I was in physical pain watching the Steelers and the Jets in the AFC Championship this year.

Enjoy March Madness and don't forget about the Dog!

Disney Exclusive Online Store Pluto Merchandise

No comments:

Post a Comment