Monday, January 31, 2011

SEVERELY OVERRATED FAMOUS PEOPLE

I'd like to discuss a few people that I feel get free passes in life, mostly in terms of their professions.  For most of us, these are less than ideal economic times.  These are the days when I get especially angry at those who make a shit load of money for not doing a whole lot.  Not only do they not do a whole lot, but they're pretty much admired.  It drives me crazy.  I may even expand on this topic in later blogs as more dickheads come to mind.

Andy Richter:
Andy is Conan O'Brien's sidekick.  He's not even the announcer (like Ed Mcmahon was for Johnny), he doesn't do too much during Conan's monologue, and he's not even on camera when Conan's interviewing a guest.  I'm sure he writes jokes and contributes to skits and things like that, but I'm pretty sure he makes a shit ton of money to basically just laugh at Conan and talk when he feels like it.  Who could not do this??  I admit, I used to like Andy.  I thought he was a nice touch on the old show.  Then Andy left to pursue his own acting career, failed in two sitcoms, and had a few small parts in movies (children's book writer in Elf).  Then Andy boomeranged back to Conan after failing on his own and now he can relax again.  Guaranteed he's making at least 250,000 dollars. 

Guy Fieri:
Or as he calls himself "Guy Fee-eddy".  I have to be clear on this one: Guy is a world-class chef so I am in no way attacking his cooking skills.  Basically, I'm jealous of this guy.  On "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" (which I love by the way) this GUY (haha) gets to tour the country in search of really awesome foods at really cool restaurants.  He literally goes into the kitchen where the chef tells him how to make the featured food.  Every episode-without fail, Guy will dip his finger into the dish while it's being made, list off the ingredients to sound smart, stare at the camera as if to tell us "This guy's CRAZY!  He just put STRAWBERRIES in the MEATLOAF!  No WAY this is gonna taste good!" then sure enough it's the craziest, best meatloaf he's ever tried.  Every goddamn time.  Every episode's the same, just with different food.  I don't hate Guy.  I just think that most food loving people could go on vacation, try food, and enjoy doing it. 

Randy Jackson:
Of all of the judges that have ever been on American Idol, how is this the only person still on the show??  Is it because he's black?  Paula was sort of black and she's gone.  The contestants don't care what he says.  They never did.  Let's be clear: Simon was the king.  But even the other crappy judges said something quotable once in a while.  Randy we get it:  you say dawg and yo a lot.  And you often call women dudes.  That's his shtick...genius.  And don't tell me that he's more than that because he played guitar in Journey for a while and also produces some songs.  Randy would be absolutely nothing without this show.  He would play a shitty guitar and gain 200 pounds again.  By the way he  makes over a million dollars.  This one really stings me and hopefully the rest of middle class America.

Tambourine Players:
I've always been enamored that they let these people be part of the band.  And it's always the same thing at the concert.  This guy proves to the audience that he's so much more than just a tambourine shaker.  "Wow the tambourine guy just picked up the woodblock!  Don't even tell me he knows how to hit a bongo during a slow song...he's so versataile!"

Ben Roethlesberger:
And if I spelled his name wrong, I did it because I want to disrespect him.  How is he in the discussion of all time greats?  Stop counting rings and look at his defenses, his running games, his offensive lines, his receivers, his attempts per game, his qb ratings, his Super Bowl numbers, his face, and his rape charges. If Trent Dilfer had a better offense around him in Baltimore, apparently he's an all time great too.

Goo Goo Dolls, John Mellancamp, Tina Turner, modern-day Bob Dylan, and others.  I just don't understand the fascination.

2 comments:

  1. Not so sure about the Goo Goo Dolls being overrated, the rest I concur with. Could add Hilary Swank to the list.

    Off the record, not a terrible blog you have here sir. Increase the frequency of posts perhaps.

    ReplyDelete